POSTED BY Andre Gamble on 6:00 AM under
There is a saying in video games that I completely agree with. That saying is every game is better with friends. Even the crappiest of games will have a group of friends pasting the controller around laughing, smiling and having a good time, but all of that might one day change. Thanks to online gaming.

Online gaming isn't new. There have been online gaming even before the days of first person shooters on the PC. With how easy it is to get broadband these days, gamers are online at younger ages then ever before, but is that a good thing?

It's crazy to believe that online gaming has to regulated because of idiots online who what to spread their hate speech, and who don't care who they hurt. The real thing I'm afraid of with the rise of online gaming is the death of solo and couch co-op gaming. I've started to notice that people are more willing to buy a game that has a big multiplayer mode then a 20 hour solo campaign. I personally sank more then 200 hours into Gears 1 multiplayer. Way more then I played the solo campaign, but then again I put 75 hours and counting into Fallout 3. In fact I've been playing online less and less because of the people online.

So where am I getting at; I want to say online gaming is here to say, but don't get scared solo games are here to stay. Co-op however may be on it's last legs.

The old days of four player Halo 1 matches with me and friends are over. Now the only time we get together to play couch co-op is Smash Bros. Developers have stop putting money and resources into creating split-screen games. Just think for a moment, how many games you loved playing this generation didn't have split-screen. One game that comes to mind is Call of Duty 4. That was a great game, but I just miss the days of getting a new game and playing though it with a friend.

Hopefully developers won't forget about the co-op players.
0 comments so far: